Thursday, November 3, 2011

Jumping Number Line

A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine introduced me to an iPad/iPhone app called Motion Math Zoom.  This game is a highly visual, intuitive exploration of the number line.  With help from cute animal pictures, the player gets a good sense of scale when looking at pieces of the line, marked off by ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, thousandths, hundredths, and tenths.  The scale can be changed with a simple finger pinch.

I was impressed with this game, and a little sad that it didn't include fractions in fraction form. So one day, needing the kids to have something to do while I cooked dinner, I used masking tape to mark off a number line along the tiles on our kitchen/dining room floor.
One 30 cm tile = 1/4.  I marked up to 1, then SpiderGirl extended it to 3.

I called off numbers along the line.  Then the kids jumped along the number line to the correct place for points depending on the difficulty of the number, including mixed numbers, improper fractions, and eighths.  SpiderGirl helped BatBoy and I helped both when it was needed.

We all had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment